Queen Bee Protein Bread
Adapted from a Baking Beauties Recipe & Free Range Cookies Recipe
Yields a nice rise, with a very soft, open texture much like
Heaven Bread (vegan)
Two eggs, instant gelatin and egg white powder really amp up the protein per slice. These ingredients also greatly enhance texture. You can make this bread without the tapioca starch, but the bread will be a bit less gluten-like. Just replace tapioca starch with 1/3 cup Queen Bee BBP.
"Rye" Bread and Cinnamon Raisin Bread options are below.
IMPORTANT: read the entire recipe thoroughly before starting.
First: Make the roux. Instructions at end of recipe.
3 cups sifted, Queen Bee Biscuit, Bread, Pie Flour (BBP)
⅓ cup tapioca starch
1 Tb unflavored instant gelatin (NOW Brand is great! on Amazon or at Natural Grocers)
2 Tb egg white powder (Trader Joe's now sells egg white protein)
1 ½ tsp salt
1 Tb sugar
1/8 tsp Expandex
1 cup warm water (110°-115°)
¼ cup Knudsens Organic Just Pineapple Juice or Knudsens Apple Juice
2 ¼ tsp organic round yeast or one packet active dry yeast
1 Tb sugar
2 eggs, room temperature, beaten (Place eggs in hot tap water to warm quickly)
¼ cup melted butter or melted coconut oil
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
¼ cup roux
1 egg yolk whisked with 1 tsp water
Sesame seeds, if desired.
- Spray oil a large 10x4” loaf pan. (I use Norpro pans; narrower at bottom than top which makes a really pretty loaf).
- In bowl of stand mixer, whisk together thoroughly the Queen Bee Flour, tapioca starch, gelatin, egg white powder, 1 Tb sugar, salt, Expandex.
- In large measuring cup whisk yeast and sugar into 1 cup warm water and apple juice. I check temp with a thermometer. Whisk together and allow to proof in warm spot for 6-7 minutes. On stove top near warm vent is good.
- To dry ingredients add eggs, butter or coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, roux, and proofed yeast mixture. Mix until just combined, scraping down sides of bowl. Then mix on medium high for 3 minutes. Do not skip this step.
- This bread does not make a dough, but rather a smooth, elastic, sticky batter.
- Fill prepared 10x4” loaf pan. With a rubber spatula dipped in warm water, gently smooth top of loaf. Gently brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds if using.
- Cover loosely with oil sprayed plastic wrap and let rise in the refrigerator for about 35 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, Preheat oven to 375°
- Bake for 30 minutes then cover with aluminum foil to prevent over browning and bake for 30 minutes more. Toothpick inserted with very few crumbs means it's done. Internal temperature is 210-220°. Rest pan on cooling rack for ten minutes and then remove to cool completely. If sliced too early, bread will be slightly gummy.
Tangzhong Roux ( makes 1/2 cup) You will only need 1/4 roux for this recipe.
Whisk 1/6 cup BBP flour (2 ½ Tb) with 1/2 cup tepid water in a small saucepan. Whisk thoroughly to combine.
Cook, whisking constantly, over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened to where the whisk leaves a trail visible behind it. Mixture will be very sticky and stretchy. Cool quickly by spreading in a shallow dish, while preparing the rest of the recipe.
Whisk into dry ingredients:
2 ½ Tb unsweetened cocoa powder
2 ½ tsp minced dried onion
2 ½ tsp caraway seeds, plus extra for sprinkling on top
¾ tsp dried dill
Whisk into egg/oil mixture:
1 Tb molasses
2 ½ tsp finely grated orange zest or 1 ½ tsp coffee extract (I prefer the orange zest)
Proceed with above recipe and sprinkle with caraway seeds prior to rise.
Cinnamon, Raisin, Pecan Bread
1 cup fresh, plump organic raisins
If raisins are dried, soak 1 cup dried raisins with boiling water for about 10 minutes then drain well.
1 cup chopped, organic pecans or nuts of choice
¼ – ⅓ cup organic turbinado sugar to sprinkle on top before baking. This makes a crunchy, sweet crust.
Whisk into dry ingredients:
Increase sugar to 1/3 cup
2 ½ tsp cinnamon
pinch of cloves
After beating bread batter for 2 min, add raisins and nuts just until mixed.
Proceed with above recipe and sprinkle with turbinado sugar prior to rise.